Preventing Your Pet From Getting Electrocuted

Preventing your pet from getting electrocuted. Many pets don't understand that chewing on electrical cords can lead to serious injuries. It is your job as a pet owner to make sure all cords are out of reach of pets or to train your pet not to touch the cords. This article will cover accidental pet electrocutions and how you can prevent your pet from being electrocuted.

Pets usually don't have anything to do with anything electrical, however the most common electrical injury in pets is electrocution caused by chewing on cords. Pets love to chew, especially young pets. If you have any young pet in your house, you are probably worried about house breaking, but you will also have to train it to stay away from cords. If a pet chews on cords, it can ruin your appliance, cost you money to replace the cord, and more important your pet can be injured or possibly killed.

Another good idea is to make sure all cords are tucked behind furniture or out of reach of pets. Be careful with pets like rabbits, ferrets, or anything that may go behind and under furniture. If you don't want to pet proof your whole home, then confine your pet to only rooms where there are no cords that they can chew on.

When a pet chews on a cord, they can be electrocuted. This can cause severe burns to the animal's face and mouth. Also, in most cases the pet's lungs become filled with a foam type fluid. This results in various breathing problems such as difficulty breathing in general or very fast breathing. Pets that are electrocuted may also collapse, have seizures, rapid heart rate, or tremors.

Preventing your pet from being electrocuted is definitely the best thing you can do. It will eliminate their suffering, and prevent you from having to pay a large veterinarian bill, and most importantly it prevents you from losing your beloved furry family member.

The information provided on this site is for informational purposes only and is not intended as a substitute for advice from your veterinarian or other health care professional. You should not use the information on this site for diagnosis or treatment of any health problem or for prescription of any medication or other treatment.