Can Flea and Tick Medicine be Poisonous to Dogs?
Can flea and tick medicine be poisonous to dogs? Fleas can be very annoying and uncomfortable for a dog to have. You want to help so you buy your dog flea medicine. Did you properly follow all instructions? If not, your dog may an adverse reaction. This article will discuss how flea and tick medicine can poison dogs.
Flea and tick medicines are actually insecticides, usually pyrethroids and pyrethrins. One is synthetic while the other comes from a plant, however both can be dangerous if used improperly. Some dogs have allergic reactions while others have anywhere between a mild to a severe reaction to the toxins.
The toxins can affect a dog's nervous system. Symptoms of flea and tick medicine poisoning in dogs include hives, shock, congestion, respiratory distress, ear twitching, diarrhea, vomiting, depression, ear twitching, muscle tremors, excessive drooling, and in rare cases death occurs. Dogs that tend to be more at risk of having an adverse reaction to these medicines are sick, young, old, injured, or small.
A dog with symptoms of poisoning need to be seen by a veterinarian who can run tests and recommend the proper treatment options. Most of the time the first treatment for a poisoning is actually a bath. However, if your dog is having more than a mild reaction, it may need kept at the vet hospital and be treated until the dog is more stable. Then, a bath will be needed.
If your dog still appears to be suffering from symptoms there is medication that your veterinarian can prescribe to help lessen the symptoms. Sometimes medications that help detoxify a dog's body of the toxins are prescribed as well.
Your dog may have an allergic reaction to flea and tick medicine regardless of how careful you are. However, in most causes it can be prevented. Following directions can save your dog from having to suffer through adverse reactions.stable. Then, a bath will be needed.
The information provided on this site is for informational purposes only and is not intended as a substitute for advice from your veterinarian or other health care professional. You should not use the information on this site for diagnosis or treatment of any health problem or for prescription of any medication or other treatment.