Chocolate Poisoning in Dogs

Let's talk about chocolate poisoning in dogs. You've probably heard people saying that dogs can't eat chocolate, but have you ever wondered why and if it is true. Well, chocolate is toxic to dogs, continue reading for more details.

Dogs will eat pretty much anything, so make sure you . Chocolate contains caffeine and theobromine, which are actually what makes chocolate dangerous to dogs and other animals.  

Chocolate poisoning in dogs is serious, it can cause various medical issues and can sometimes be fatal. The amount of chocolate a dog eats definitely contributes to how your dog's body will react to chocolate. However, you may be surprised to find out that the type of chocolate is also a factor.

If a 20 lb. dog eats a whole pound of chocolate or a 10 lb. dog eats half a pound of milk chocolate they could have severe poisoning.  If your dog eats semi-sweet chocolate the chance of toxicity is greater. Six ounces of semi-sweet chocolate could severely poison a 20 lb. dog. The most poisonous type of chocolate for dogs to eat is baking chocolate because this has the most caffeine and theobromine. Two ounces of baking chocolate can severely poison a 20 lb. dog.

Dogs can be sneaky, so how can you be sure that your dog has chocolate poisoning. Well, if you know your dog ate chocolate and it has symptoms of chocolate poisoning, then that's probably what it is. Symptoms include diarrhea, vomiting, seizures, rapid breathing, fever, and coma.

If you believe your dog may have chocolate poisoning, immediately take it to a veterinarian. You can try to induce vomiting to get the chocolate out of your dog. You should also keep your dog in a quiet and cool place when taking them to the veterinarian. There isn't a medicine to cure chocolate toxicity, but your veterinarian can induce vomiting and help control seizures and anything other side effects to keep your dog stable.

The information provided on this site is for informational purposes only and is not intended as a substitute for advice from your veterinarian or other health care professional. You should not use the information on this site for diagnosis or treatment of any health problem or for prescription of any medication or other treatment.