How Dangerous is Gum and Toothpaste to Dogs?

How dangerous is gum and toothpaste to dogs? Many dog owners don't realize how dangerous many household items are to canines. Do you leave toothpaste out on your bathroom counter? Do you leave your purse on the floor? If your dog ingests toothpaste or gum it can be much more harmful than you know. Continue reading to find out why.

Check the ingredients on your gum, toothpaste, mouthwash, and candy. Are any of the ingredients xylitol? While xylitol is completely harmless for you, it can be toxic for your dog. One piece of gum may cause your dog to become very ill.

If your dog has ingested any of these things you will be able to notice the signs that they have xylitol toxicity. The symptoms include vomiting, seizures, loss of coordination, and collapse. Xylitol can also be found in some baked goods. If your dog ingests a lot, xylitol toxicity can lead to liver failure which could be fatal. Most symptoms will appear less than an hour after the dog ingests the product. In some cases, symptoms can appear within 12 hours of ingestion.

If your dog might have xylitol toxicity take them to their veterinarian or a local emergency animal hospital. Early treatment that could prevent liver failure could save your dog's life. This toxicity could also cause internal bleeding so you definitely need to seek medical attention from a veterinarian. If a dog doesn't experience liver failure they are likely to recover with proper treatment and monitoring.

To keep your dog safe and healthy it is best to take precautions to avoid the entire awful situation. Keep toothpaste and mouthwash up in your medicine cabinet or in a cabinet that your dog can't open. Keep gum in a drawer or out of reach. For women, don't leave your purse on the floor or your dog can go in it and take gum. Also, be careful of what candy or baked goods you feed your dog. They really shouldn't have any, so it's best to just keep them all locked away or out of reach.

The information provided on this site is for informational purposes only and is not intended as a substitute for advice from your veterinarian or other health care professional. You should not use the information on this site for diagnosis or treatment of any health problem or for prescription of any medication or other treatment.