Protect Yourself and Your Pet from Mycobacteriosis

Let's have a quick overview on how to protect yourself and your pet from mycobacteriosis.

Mycobacteriosis is a disease or bacterial infection that amphibians and humans can both get. Amphibians are naturally immune to this type of infection, however if their immune system is compromised due to stress or illness, they become susceptible to mycobacteriosis.

There are treatments for many illnesses and infections that amphibians, reptiles, fish, and all pets get. However, there really is no medication or treatment for an amphibian with mycobacteriosis. The only treatments that can be given will be to prevent secondary infections or what compromised the immune system to begin with. Unfortunately, mycobacteriosis is a bacterial infection that cannot be cured.

Since mycobacteriosis is contagious it is important for amphibian owners to be aware of its symptoms, so they don't get infected from their pet. If your pet has recently lost weight, has skin ulcers or gray bumps, they may have mycobacteriosis. Another symptom of the disease is a nasal discharge that is mucus-like.

Any amphibian that has those symptoms should be taken to a vet for an examination and tests. Do not touch a possibly-infected pet touch your skin. Transport their home to the vet, or handle them while wearing gloves or picking them up with a towel. Wear protective eyewear as well. You may also want to wash your hands even if your skin doesn't come in contact with the pet. Your vet will give you instructions to follow to ensure that you don't spread the disease.

Mycobacteriosis is usually introduced to an amphibian in food or water. If a amphibian consumes infected food or water or in some cases inhale the bacteria, they are infected. Keeping an amphibian healthy is the best way to prevent them from getting this disease. If an amphibian has a healthy immune system, they will be immune to mycobacteriosis.

The information provided on this site is for informational purposes only and is not intended as a substitute for advice from your veterinarian or other health care professional. You should not use the information on this site for diagnosis or treatment of any health problem or for prescription of any medication or other treatment.